Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad

The KLIA Shopping campaign has been instrumental in ensuring the success of Malaysia Airports’ efforts in turning KLIA into a preferred shopping destination among locals and travellers. There are 130 outlets in KLIA, of which 75% are retail shops while the remaining 25% are F&B. To encourage spending, the KLIA Shopping campaign is aimed at creating a unique and exciting shopping experience that encourages travellers and the locals to explore the retail, F&B outlets as well as services at KLIA. On a bigger scope, the campaign is to position KLIA as a lifestyle and shopping destination just like any other shopping malls within the city.

The Context & Challenge

To design a campaign that builds and strengthens KLIA Shopping proposition, “Real Value, Real Style”.

To create the desired top of mind recall that KLIA is a lifestyle and shopping destination that provides great offerings and value for money; despite it being an airport. To entice merchants at KLIA to participate in the campaign.

To create the reason and drive for locals to shop and dine at KLIA.

To develop the mechanism that will entice and encourage the locals and travellers to spend at KLIA; despite 2008 being the Global Financial Crisis year. To develop the manpower management plan in supporting this year long campaign.

The Process & Insights

Detail study on passengers average dwell time at the airport is essential to ensure that the campaign is planned around such limitation and at the same time, to understand the deterring factors why locals are not keen to shop or dine at KLIA. It is important to learn about the products or services that are in high demand and the ones which are in least demand so that proper attention can be given to those needed but at the same time not taking for granted with those who are already doing well. To understand the consumer’s spending pattern at the airport, what motivates them e.g. limited edition items to gift with purchase etc. The need to create new news for KLIA in the media so to excite and arouse curiosity amongst Malaysians. The sales mechanism needs to be one that is easy to understand, so that its not too complicated for sales personnel at outlets to explain to consumers and use it as a tool to encourage purchases. It is also important to learn about the operations and physical airport as its access are mostly restricted as well as to identify the most strategic locations to conduct activities to ensure high visibility.

The Strategy

To ENTICE spending, we initiated a contest whereby, consumers just need to make a minimum spend in a single receipt and will be rewarded instantly, stand a chance to win weekly and monthly prizes as well as the Grand Prize in the end of the campaign. Contest prizes are lucrative, with cash prizes up for grabs to a luxury car worth more than RM420,000. On this, we collaborated with MasterCard and NAZA Group in
co-sponsoring the prizes and to leverage on their database to promote the campaign. We came out with a free scheduled shuttle service for residents neighboring the airport so to encourage them to shop and dine at KLIA.

To EXCITE, the campaign was supported with colorful and vibrant on ground collaterals by turning permanent fixtures into advertising mediums to create the desired shopping ambience. At the same time, there were festive activities, decors and periodical themed fairs happening to serve as attractions during low season. We also initiated a Concessionaires Incentive Program by rewarding outlet’s sales personnel with cash vouchers if their outlet is able to submit the most contest entries on monthly basis. As this was a year long campaign, we constantly lobby for print and online media coverage to highlight the happenings so to promote and create urge for public to check out KLIA during their free time. We also took the initiative to correct public’s misconception that the offerings at the airport are relatively more expensive by running a “Duty Free” educational campaign which was supported by on ground collaterals.

The Results

The shopping campaign had increased sales for retailers and at the same time, was able to create a memorable shopping experience for travellers. Locals and travellers at KLIA are more aware of the promotions, privileges and the wide range of product offerings available at KLIA. Key achievements through out the events, more than 150,000 contest entries, RM92 million worth of sales transactions captured through contest submissions, RM5.5 million worth of media coverage, and 12,000 unique visitors to the contest microsite.